The Johannesburg Roads Agency is undertaking essential maintenance on the M1 double decker section between Smit Street and Crown Interchange. This is part of the maintenance work that has been ongoing for some time for lane restrictions during off-peak hours, evenings and weekends.
The next phase of the project will involve the use of specialised equipment and material that will unfortunately require additional lane closures.
Lane closures to be applicable for the period 9th November 2018 to 30th November 2018:
- Two lanes closed either on the left or right-hand side of the carriageway on a rolling closure: 24hrs during weekdays and weekends.
- Three lanes closed during week days:
- Between 23:30-03:30 three lanes on either the left or right hand side of the carriageway.
- On weekends the following closures will be allowed:
- Between 23:30 on a Saturday to 05:00 Sunday and 22:00 on the Sunday to 03:30 on the Monday three lanes on either the left or right-hand lane side of the carriageway.
The additional lane closures during the weekday peak hours will result in inconvenience to motorists and business due to increased congestion and longer travel times.
- Motorists are urged to reduce the speed limit across the M1 double decker section to 40 km/h and maintain a safe following distance.
- Adhere to traffic guidelines and signage.
- Where possible adjust your travel times.
- Plan your journey.
- Use alternative routes.
“Please be patient, remain courteous and obey traffic signs during this period of roadworks. The long-term benefits of the bridge network will far outweigh the temporary inconvenience during the rehabilitation phase,” said Goodwill Mbatha, JRA Managing Director.
The JRA would like to apologies for any inconvenience caused and will attempt to keep disruptions to a minimum while construction is underway.
Add us on WhatsApp today! Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.
Get regular news updates sent directly to your inbox: Newsletter-Signup